Thornwood Springs Trout Fishery is a complex of lakes and pools all dedicated purely to fly fishing. The lakes are spring fed with crystal clear water all year, this clarity makes them suitable for stalking fish with dry fly. While their depth also makes them suitable for a wide range of wet fly presentation techniques.
The lake beds are gravel, clay, sand and chalk mix, so produce a wide range of insect life and hatches throughout the year. These can include Mayfly, damsels, buzzers, sedges, etc. from the lake and huge terrestrial hatches from the surrounding land and hedgerows with the hawthorn fly hatch being particularly memorable.
Suiting the traditional fly fisherman as such varied insect life abounds and dry fly was in the catch book for nearly 11 months of last year!
The lakes are stocked regularly with hard fighting fin perfect rainbow and brown trout well into double figures. Good table fish are always available.
The setting is in open countryside adjacent to Epping Forest and is a magnet for all wildlife and birds with an abundance of birds of prey.
We are located just over a mile from Epping near London, accessible from Epping central line tube station, and very close to the M11 junction 7 and also close to the M25 junction 26.
Facilities and Features
- Two Trout Lakes and a stalking pool.
- Great quality Rainbow Trout for the table always available.
- Specimen, grown on, and resident monster Rainbow and Brown trout for catch and release.
- Simple ticket options to suit your choice of catch to eat and/or catch and release.
- The Best Water in Essex – more like a chalk stream than a lake
- Year round fishing
- Tackle Shop
- On site Parking close to lakes.
- Open all year round – the fishing is great all months of the year!
- Suitable for all levels of angler
- Fly casting lessons and tuition can be arranged
- BBQ for customer use
- NEW Anglers retreat lodge with Tea & Coffee